free statistics
 

星期六, 三月 21, 2009

The Fallacy of The Word 'Unbiased'

Been reading much from the web at work lately, especially socio-political sites, and it triggered some thoughts which I thought of penning down.

I must say I am intrigued by the spectrum of views - some being really hilarious and entertaining, some more eye-opening and interesting, while others being too extreme and nonsensical for my liking. I did however come across a common thought on the local mainstream media - or more specifically of it being weighed as too biased and one-sided. Now that's not for me to agree or disagree, but what caught my eye was the reasons people were giving for turning to alternative channels, claiming that they are deviating from mainstream media for better 'unbiased' news. As a communications and media student, I have learnt much about journalistic ethics of reporting from a neutral standpoint and carefully selecting a more 'neutralistic' range of words and expressions. However, despite adhering to these journalistic directives, I question if total unbiasness can really be achieved? Wouldn't alternative media have their own biasness in some sense too? So which entity can ever be considered 'unbiased' and fair?

I tend to enjoy reads of those who write well, but more importantly, those who acknowledge that every issue or argument has two sides (with biasness still involved somewhere of course). Similarly, I prefer those who backs their arguments with quality thoughts for one to consider and ponder about. So it kinda puts me off when some political comments and discussions goes 'Vote the current party off'. Fullstop. My question would be 'Ok after you've done that, then what?' Expect a new (and unexperienced) other-party to come in and do a better job, and think that no one else will complain about new problems? And just to sum my point up, I shall quote Barack Obama in his recent appearance on Jay Leno's show.

" If there are members of Congress who object to specific policies and proposals in, then I ask them to be ready and willing to propose constructive, alternative solutions.

'Just say no' is the right advice to give your teenagers about drugs.

It is not an acceptable response to whatever economic policy is proposed by the other party. " - Source, TNP

0 条评论:

发表评论

订阅 博文评论 [Atom]

主页

Jeremy at HK!

Jeremy Teo Chung Xian
24 Year Old Gemini
NUS Undergraduate
Comms and New Media


Happily Attached
38 Months and On .....





An avid Blackburn Rovers supporter. Click here for regular Blackburn Rovers newsfeed.



Your Say



Friends and Favourites

Aaron
Adeline
Bing De
Camy
Cherie
Chuan Seng
Cindy
Ethel
Hock
Jasmine
Jason
Joshua
Kynneth
Michelle
Nicholas
Pearl
Sandra
Serene
Soon Leong
Tian Hao
Tien Kwan
Xin Yu
Ying Ling

NUS
Arts Club
Campus Observer
Soccernet
Channel News Asia
Blogger
Friendster
Facebook



先前的博文


Contact Me

Send an E-mail to:
jeremyteocx@gmail.com

or

Drop me a message on MSN, Friendster or Facebook:
roverses@hotmail.com